Freshman Astronomy Guided Inquiry Unit
- Learn the most accepted scientific theories about the formation and possible fate of the universe.
- Be more aware of the scope and size of the universe.
- Understand the basic forces that govern the motion and organization of objects in the universe.
- Learn how stars are formed and move through a life cycle.
- Understand how our solar system was formed.
- Discover different ways in which information about space is gathered.
Student Blog Assignments
- Extend KWL posts related to the 6 unit goals throughout the unit
- What do I know about astronomy? 10/14
- What do I want to know about astronomy? 10/14
- How do I find out about astronomy?
- What did I learn about astronomy?
- How will I use what I learned about astronomy in my life?
- What will I do next time I research a topic?
- Frayer Model for astronomy vocabulary (Brainboard photo) 10/20
- Reflection Task 1 based on pg 129 of Kuhlthau et al. 11/1 & worked in library
- Summative Research Topic Post - Format -5 paragraph Essay 12/08/10
Selected posts will be self-assessed and teacher-assessed with a student blogging rubric that was modified from EDU 593 teacher blogging rubric.
Checklist for students in student-friendly language
Have your computer read your blog post to you. Listen for run-on sentences... (use buds)
Revise your post
Peer-review - Pair them yours
1 positive observation
1 constructive suggestion
- Negative Integers
- Scientific Notation for scale perspectives
- Site building plan
- Solar system walk
- Powers of 10 clips, new example, original movie
Techniques to integrate
- Use of find student function on Powerteacher to compare class lists